SAFE SPORT OFFICER – Lise Maclean
Lise Maclean is Canada Artistic Swimming’s National Independent Safe Sport Officer. You may contact her at [email protected]. This person is an independent third party who will guide you through the complaints process and/or explore other options. This Independent Officer is empowered to supersede Canada Artistic Swimming staff and launch appropriate policies as required based on evidence or a situation reported. Your contact with the Safe Sport Officer is confidential, subject to certain legal limits. The independent Safe Sport Officer is a certified workplace harassment resources/investigator.
The existence of this Independent Third-Party (ITP) does not prevent individuals from contacting Canada Artistic Swimming directly with complaints if they are comfortable with the process.
The Safe Sport Officer’s mandate includes, but is not limited to:
- Respond to emails and phone calls received by parties about abuse, harassment, bullying, and discrimination.
- Contact complainant(s) to learn more about the situation. The Safe Sport Officer will make efforts to respond to all complaints within 24 hours after being advised of the situation.
- Conduct a preliminary review and assess against applicable policies, legal frameworks, and best practices. The results of the preliminary review are highly variable and may include:
- Referring the complainant to the police or child protection authorities.
- Referring the complainant to the club or the PSO.
- Referring the complainant to other procedures, recourses or appeals.
- Suggesting other counselling or support to the complainant. Equipping the complainant to deal with the situation directly.
- Supporting the complainant to come forward with a formal complaint.
- Recommending that the NSO proceed directly to an investigation and liaising with the assigned investigator as appropriate.
- Exploring informal resolution or other alternative dispute mechanisms.
- Other solutions as deemed necessary
- Except with prior consent of the complainant, maintain confidentiality regarding the identity of the complainant(s) and the specific details of the complaint, unless otherwise required by law.
Please refer to the Canada Artistic Swimming conduct policy for specific guidance on the process of making a complaint and the options available for making complaints at club and provincial levels.